If you’re in the mood to try something different with your spring onions this week, I recommend Mark Bittman’s Fast Scallion Pancakes. I skipped the soy sauce and used a gluten free flour mixture and they turned out to be delicious. My only regret – they were a bit doughy in the middle. Next time I’ll aim for half the thickness of the cakes pictures above.
The recipe basics are below. Travel HERE for more details.
Fast Scallion Pancakes:
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 bunches scallions or spring onions, about 1 pound
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce
• 1/2 cup flour
• Peanut, canola or olive oil as needed
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil while you trim the scallions. Roughly chop three bunches, and mince the fourth.
- Add the larger portion of scallions to the water, and cook until tender. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Puree the cooked scallions in a blender, adding just enough of the cooking liquid to allow the machine to do its work.
- Mix the puree with the egg, soy (optional), flour and remaining scallions.
- Using about 1 heaping tablespoon for every cake, fry the cakes on low-medium heat, about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.