Finally, CSA shares start this week with lots of greens, herbs, and some Rhubarb. Included with your shares will be a recipe for Rhubarb-Ginger Jam which I just tried last night and highly recommend:
- Several fresh rhubarb stalks
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger (use more if you like extra ginger)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Clean rhubarb stalks and chop into 1/2 inch pieces, making 2 1/4 cups.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 2 1/4 cups chopped rhubarb with the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the liquid has a jam like consistency. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Cool and keep chilled. Without being canned, the jam stores for up to one week. Enjoy it over toast or as a topping for vanilla yogurt or ice cream.
Recipe adapted from Seeing Red at pittsburghmagazine.com