Aside from being filled with antioxidants, fresh beets are a delicious addition to soups & salads. Or, they’re also tasty by themselves, either roasted, steamed, and raw.
If you’re looking for new ways to add beets to your meals, I recommend checking out the recipes provided by Toby Bilanow in his NY Times article “Beet Recipes Even a Beet Hater Can Love.” Of the recipes provided, I’ve found this one especially tasty:
Grated Raw Beet Salad by Martha Rose Shulman:
- 1/2 pound beets
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon minced chives, mint or parsley (or a combination)
- Salt to taste
- Leaves of 1 romaine heart
1. Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler, and grate in a food processor fitted with the shredding blade.
2. Combine the orange juice, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss with the beets and herbs. Season to taste with salt. Line a salad bowl or platter with romaine lettuce leaves, top with the grated beets and serve.
Enjoy your beets this week!
One Comment Add yours
What BIG. Beautiful Beets! I always love your photos…even those of the little beasties. Looking at your website never fails to inspire and energize me. Thanks!