At our first Thursday evening Color Your Food! gathering, Sara introduced everyone to a delicious RED (our color of the week) recipe: beet burgers with homemade ketchup. Here’s the recipe:
Beet Burgers, from Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
- 2 cups grated beets
- 1 & 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley (or, in our case, celery leaves)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and add salt to taste.
- Test if you can create a patty that will stay together. If not, add a bit more flour. The mixture should be enough to form about 12 patties
- Bake for 25 minutes or until firm. Carefully flip half way through.
- Be very careful when you take them off the cookie sheet, they’ll be very delicate.
- Serve on a whole wheat bun topped with homemade ketchup, sliced tomatoes & red onions
If you’re interested in making homemade ketchup, there a many different variations. Here’s one:
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup honey (or agave)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
Directions: Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat; whisk until smooth.
4 Comments Add yours